Post-workout Energy Bites
Updated: Jan 17, 2020
Written by: Alanna Bray-Lougheed
1 ½ cup oats*
¼ cup almond flour
⅔ cup natural peanut butter**
1 banana, mashed
¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3 tbsp chia seed***
⅓ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
¼ cup maple syrup 1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp sea salt
1. In large bowl, combine oats, almond flour, coconut, chia, dried cranberries and sea salt
2. In another bowl, combine mashed banana, peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla. Heating the peanut butter in the microwave for a few seconds can help make it easier to mix.
3. Add the wet ingredients into the dry in two stages, stirring after each addition.
4. Roll into small balls and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Sometimes I will use a cookie scoop to ensure the snack bites are uniform in size
5. Place baking sheet in freezer for 30 minutes to allow snack bites to firm up. Enjoy!
Substitutions:*can use large flake oats or quick cooking oats. Large flake oats offer better texture, while quick cook oats allow the bites to hold better**can use almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter instead***if I have ground flax seed on hand, I will do a combination of chia and ground flax seed. 1 ½ tbsp of each!
Nutrition Facts (per 1 snack bite): Calories 139, Fat 8.2g, Saturated Fat 1.4g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 30.1mg, Carbohydrates 13.8g, Fiber 3g, Sugar 6.7g, Protein 4g
Alanna is one of our wonderful volunteers at One Elephant Integrative Health Team. She is a recent graduate of the Nutrition program at Mount Saint Vincent University in Halifax, and on track to becoming a Registered Dietitian. Alanna is currently a member of Team Canada for sprint kayaking and training to qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.